Call for papers - ICA CCR Asia-Pacific Research Conference, Newcastle, Australia
23 Apr 2019
The Newcastle Business School, at the University of Newcastle, Australia will host the International Co-operative Alliance Asia-Pacific Research Conference (ICA-CCR-AP-2019) from 12th to 14th December, 2019. The conference will be held at a new educational precinct, NewSpace in Newcastle, Australia, a thriving regional city, located on the Pacific coast, two hours north of Sydney and a one hour drive from the Hunter Valley wine region.
This will be the first time the ICA-CCR-AP-2019 conference has been held in Australia. Newcastle has a deep history as an early home to the Australian consumer co-operative movement and is a significant centre of Australian mutuals. The Newcastle Business School currently offers Australia’s only post-graduate degree in Co-operative Management and Organisation.
The central theme for the 14th ICA CCR Asia-Pacific Research Conference is the contribution that co-operation and knowledge sharing among co-operatives and mutuals in the Asia-Pacific region can make towards a flourishing and sustainable future.
See more in detail on the official website of the conference.
Call for papers
The central theme for the ICA-CCR-AP-2019 is the contribution that co-operation and knowledge sharing among co-operatives and mutuals in the Asia-Pacific region can make towards a flourishing and sustainable future. Co-operation among co-operatives within national boundaries usually occurs through initiatives organised by second and third tier co-operative federations and associations, but there are new opportunities to build and strengthen the regional Asia-Pacific co-operative movement. These new opportunities include:
- co-operation among co-operatives in international supply chains;
- the networking of agricultural co-operatives;
- the development and sharing of digital co-operative platforms;
- multi-stakeholder co-operatives;
- the potential for data–co-operatives to protect Indigenous and farmer knowledge from exploitation; and new methods of fund raising for co-operative development consistent with co-operative principles.
This conference will bring together researchers who are interested in the role that co-operatives and mutuals can play in securing a flourishing sustainable future for our communities. Under this overarching theme, potential topics for research papers include (but are not limited to):
- Innovative models for the promotion of co-operation amongst co-operatives
- Co-operatives and the empowerment of women
- Co-operatives as an engine of economic growth
- Legal and institutional parameters and development of co-operatives and mutuals
- Education and training for co-operatives in the Asian Pacific
- The role of mutuals and multi stakeholder co-operatives in the delivery of health and public services
- Credit unions, building societies and mutual banks and co-operative capital
- Co-operative solutions to the provision of renewable energy
- Co-operative solutions to the provision of affordable housing
- Platform co-operativism and open source organisational development
- Co-operative solutions to data exploitation and redefining intellectual property.
- Co-operatives and block chain solutions to supply chain problems
- Indigenous co-operatives supporting indigenous communities
- Worker co-operatives and the protection of decent work
- Theories underlying co-operative success
- When and why have co-operatives fail—is this inevitable?
We hope that you will join us to showcase the rich diversity of co-operative research in the Asian Pacific region and help us to facilitate the cross-fertilisation of ideas, surprises and new networks and connections for a flourishing and sustainable co-operative future.
Abstract Submission Deadline: July 15th, 2019 to ICA-CCR-AP-2019 Please advise if you will present a paper or a poster. Decisions will be made by August 7th 2019. We welcome proposals from PhD and Masters Students.
Poster Session Option: If your abstract is accepted for a poster presentation, please contact us for specifications using the submission portal
Submission Portal ICA-CCR-AP-2019
Please go to the submissions page for further instructions.